Sunday, February 6, 2011

Summary Post C4T#1

I commented on Dr. Strange's Blog

My Favorite Artists-The Top Ten At This Moment

Dr. Strange’s Post: After discussing art, he and Dr. Paige Baggett decided to make a list of their top ten artists and then compare them. He included Picasso for his sheer talent both in quality in quantity. Walker Evans was on the list for his moving photographs, as well as Modigliani for his paintings, sculptures, and nudes. Dr. Strange got to see Van Gogh’s work displayed in places like Amsterdam, Paris and New York so he got to witness firsthand Van Gogh’s talent. Of Coarse he made the list! Others on the list include Klimt and Giacometti. No list of great artists could be complete without Matisse, Monet, and Michelangelo. Dr. Strange added an extra artist to his list so he could include two who were close to his own heart—Ben Shahn and Thomas Hart Benton.

My Response: I let Dr. Strange know how much I admired his passion for art. Since he has traveled around Europe to see the pieces of art he references, I told him how much I want to do the same eventually. Also, I admitted that I was still learning a lot about art. Some of the pieces of art and even an artist (Giacometti) were ones that I didn’t recognize. I was able to agree with him on some of his choices though. For example, I told him that our opinions of Matisse are very similar because his use of color amazes us both.

Serendipity

Dr. Strange’s Post: He titles this post Serendipity because he believes serendipity struck when Anthony Capps pointed out a post on the EDM 310 Alumni Blog. Dr. Strange thought the video that was included in this blog was beneficial and decided to make a special assignment out of it. His reasons for this special assignment #1 were to check to see if we were reading the class blog, to emphasize creativity, to draw attention to the EDM 310 Alumni Blog, and to get us virtually out of Alabama. He includes posts from students that he thought were especially interesting.

My Response: I started out by commenting on his use of the word serendipity. I thought that it was a creative way of reminding us of what the video was about and what it stood for. I then commented on the excerpt from Anthony Capp’s blog that was included. I thought Anthony’s passion was inspiring to all of us. I let Dr. Strange know how important I think it is that teachers are passionate and inspiring to one another. I then commented that his reasons for creating special assignment #1 proved to be successful for me because it made me consider creativity more, it makes me check the class blog more, and it drew my attention to the alumni blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment