Wednesday, March 2, 2011

C4T 2 Dr. Paige Baggett

Ibiyinka Alao, Nigeria's Ambassador of Art
The first post I commented on from Dr. Baggett was one about Ibiyinka Alao who is Nigeria’s Ambassador of Art. She wrote this post to educate her readers about Ibiyinka Alao because he visited the University of South Alabama on February 8th and gave a presentation. Alao was born on October 17, 1975 and was trained as an architect. In 2001, he won the United Nations International Art Competition and Nigeria named him their “Art Ambassador”. In 2003, he was named the “Ambassador of Peace” by the United Nations Population Fund. He was given this title because of his believe that peace is achieved through art and creativity.

When I commented on Dr. Baggett’s post, I thanked her for introducing us to an important contemporary artist. I expressed my belief that it’s important to have knowledge about the art around us so we can appreciate creativity. After looking at Alao’s art on some of the sites that Dr. Baggett provided, I also mentioned how I love his use of color and how he uses art as a way to express emotion. The final thing I mentioned is how I hope we as teachers can use art as a way for our students to express themselves.

Leading by Example and a Pointer Finger: Enriching our Lives through the Arts and Technology (high and low?
The second post I commented on from Dr. Baggett was one about the blind artist Ricky Trione. Dr. Baggett had the opportunity to meet Ricky Trione when he was visiting a second grade class at Boothe Elementary School. He shared his story with the students and demonstrated how he has overcome his disability in order to continue to paint. Through his determination, he has developed his own method to paint which has him using his finger and technological tools to identify colors. Mr. Ricky Trione’s method is one of inspiration; he is living proof that anything is possible!

I shared with Dr. Baggett how I also found Ricky Trione to be extremely fascinating and talented. I was especially interested because Ricky also came to my art class when I was in high school so I got to see and hear his stories firsthand as well. I still remember them today. I told Dr. Baggett that I don’t remember him using technology back then though. He brought someone with him who directed him to the paint color he wanted to use. I made the comment that even though its only been a few years since Ricky Trione visited my high school art class, there have obviously been great technological advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment